This can be a win-win for organizations. Employers can provide positive employment experiences for young people and build a pipeline of new talent and innovation for their organization. However, before employees start their first day… employers need to remember these important points:
- Employers must follow federal, state and local laws when employing youth 18 years of age and younger. Additional regulations include special limits on the:
- Type of employment youth are permitted to perform;
- Starting and ending times for each day;
- Number of hours per day; and
- Number of hours per week.
- There may be differences in minimum wage and overtime rules.
- There are industry specific regulations for youth.
- Regulations are different when school is in session.
Employers who are unsure of the specific compliance issues surrounding hiring of minors are encouraged to contact Alcott HR… before beginning the hiring process.